Thursday, November 10, 2011

When did they put that speed bump in?

So, a kid got hit on my campus today. Apparently, he walked away from it, but his leg later swelled up.

That is a real, serious bummer and I feel bad for the kid.

HOWEVER

(You knew there was going to be a however, right?)

The driver stopped to check on him and the kid admitted that it was his fault for walking out in front of the car. THAT makes me cranky. I get that in a pedestrian heavy area like a college campus that drivers need to be aware, drive slowly and stop at crosswalks. That does not relieve the pedestrians of the responsibility to think! There is a lot of on street parking, which means there are cars blocking the view for drivers, buildings, etc. If I can't see you, I can't stop for you. You HAVE TO STOP AND LOOK. PERIOD.

I feel like a lot of things that make me cranky should be common sense and this is definitely one of those issues. Did you make it through kindergarten? Did you watch Sesame St.? Mr. Rogers? Then you really should know better. And if you do things you know you shouldn't and get hurt? Then you need to suck it. That's not the driver's fault, that's yours. You made that BAD DECISION. And you need to suck it up and deal with the results. (This is, FYI, applicable to many things beyond crossing the street, so feel free to take it with you.)

No comments:

Post a Comment